Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Local fabric souq tour...

The Pegasus Exxon Mobil club puts on local "Souq Tours" about 3 times a month.
All are different types of tours, this one is a tour of fabrics and then off to the tailors to have something made for almost nothing. We brought along a favorite pairs of pants or a top that we wanted to duplicate with a fabric of our choosing. I was so excited about this one. So my friend Penny kept the boys for me, while I went on my mission.




I recently bought a long skirt that was too long and had to have it tailored. About 3 inches were cut and hemmed. It cost 5 Q.R. divide that by 4 and add 10%. You do the math!
This is the store I found the fabric I liked. The hard part was whether to make a long skirt or a table cloth.
I finally decided to make a table cloth for Thanksgiving. I bought it long enough to fit our table back in Houston at it's full length. It is taupe/ tanish in color, all beaded, and it has pretty scalloped edges with a satin stitch, this picture does it no justice! I bought 3 1/2 meters which about 11 1/2 feet. I paid a little less than $20.00 for this hand beaded material.
This nice guy was very helpful, and yes, he gave me a "better price" before I asked for it. I probably could have gotten it cheaper if I was on the ball and ready to barter, I felt I got a great deal anyway. I'm still learning.





There was store after store to choose from. This building had several levels with the shop owners working hard trying to get you in their door. They pulled out anything you had your eye on, pulling out a chair and captivating you with fabric after beautiful fabric. I wanted to shop more but the time ran out, we had to get to the tailor before lunch time. I'll be back another time to shop even if it means skipping lunch!










We ate here at "The Garden" restaurant. It was Indian cuisine. Chicken Tikka Marsala anyone? Our favorite Indian dish. Here, when you are out with a group, everyone orders different plates and they put them out on the table and pass it around, allowing you to try a variety of different things on the menu. This is a great way to find a dish that you might like that you would not order otherwise. Yummy!
It was very good and we had a great time!




No comments: