Friday, September 14, 2007

We are Back!!!
















We are BACK!!! Back and connected to the rest of the world! It is September 14th, 2 weeks and 4 days since we left our homeland and yesterday our air shipment finally cleared customs and was delivered. Just 4 medium boxes by air that made yesterday seem a little like Christmas.



One of those boxes had our computer which is the reason I have not had a chance to post on our blog.
A few days ago I went to the clubhouse to check my e-mail for the first time since leaving Houston, (only because there usually is a waiting line to use the computers) and I was overwhelmed by the e-mails I'd received! Wow! I'm not sure I'll be able to reply to everyone, so I'm hoping this post will answer some of the questions you have.
We are all doing well and adjusting. The boys completely shocked us (and continue to do so) by their ease of travel by plane for 21 hours. The first morning we got up and were driven to have our vision tested and receive our security briefing, afterwards, we went to the mall for lunch and to find some things we needed. I told Erik I was having a hard time "not staring", he reminded me this is called "culture shock" and that I needed to do whatever it takes to "not stare". I leaned over to tell Ethan not to stare and he responded, "stare at what, Mama". I knew then, that the only one I needed to be concerned with, was myself. This is the innocence that Jesus talks about when referring to children. I'm glad to tell you that I'm doing soo much better now and I can even go to the stores, mind my own business and get things done, without much distractions.
About our home...we love this home! The minute we walked in we felt so grateful to have such a beautiful place to call ours for the duration of our stay! They don't do square footage in this compound but this house has plennnnty of room and the lay out is very comfortable. For instance, there are 5 full size couches and 6 armed coordinating chairs in the living rooms. The dining table seats 10, and I have 5 bathrooms to clean. :-) The kids are enjoying this house as well, with the exception of the absence of toys.
About the people...can I just say that absolutely everyone has welcomed us with wide open arms! If there are any mean spirited and ugly people in this compound, we have not met them yet. Ethan asked me, "Why is everyone being so nice to us?" I think it's because everyone has experienced what we are going through right now. We have had food, cookies, bags of toys for the boys, calls, gifts, welcome baskets, etc. brought to us by our neighbors and by the people I now call friends. We have a little family in this community, and we are grateful, so very grateful to our good Father.
About the church...Everyone we have met, we ask, "Do y'all go to church anywhere?" (of course in our southern drawl)( by the way, the majority of the people in this compound are from Houston, so we all have the drawl.) ;-) Many do go to a church called, Grace Community Church, (does that sound familiar) nearby, that worships on Friday. We are gently letting people know that we are worshipping God on the Lord's day like the New Testament churches did, so we will see if there are any interested in joining us. I have joined a new ladies bible class that starts on the 19th, on Beth Moore's in depth study on the book of Daniel. I'm looking forward to that. So far there are 40 ladies enrolled and I have invited my sweet neighbor Penny, to join me, she has agreed and even thanked me for having invited her. We are also going to be having our own personal Bible study soon. Please pray for us and this effort. She has befriended me and impressed me on so many levels and her heart is so tender. Penny wanted to know why we do some things we do and when we explained, she responded, "I want to do what it takes to be pleasing to God too, but it scares me." So we will begin with how "God's perfect love casts out all fear" and then go on from there. God is sooo Good....
Well , I've taken too much of your time...
Thanks for all your concern, love and especially prayers! We have been in touch with some and with the Southside Sunday and we know that there are many who have been needing prayers. We are praying for those, from this side of the world. If there is anything we can do from here let us know.
While you sleep...you are being thought of.
Until we talk again,
With all our love and gratitude....
The Phelps Family.

No comments: